Thursday, May 28, 2009

Android Developer Challenge 2 Details Appearing

Google has announced some early details for the next Android Developer Challenge. Submissions will begin in August across ten categories. In this challenge, there will be two rounds. It's the first round that's new and exciting for developers and users:

Users get to download, rank, and rate specific, but random, applications submitted to the challenge by, what else, but an Android application! This round will result in 200 finalists: twenty in each of the ten categories. The second round will be rated with Google-selected judges, as before, but their ratings will only count for 55% of the total score, with the other 45% coming from the community ratings. Three winners from each category will be chosen to win $100k, $50k, and $25k US dollar prizes. From all of the entries, overall winners (best of all entries, regardless of category) will be awarded an additional $150k, $50k, and $25k.

Finally, Google has provided a little teaser to encourage developers to go to their events:
attendees of selected developer events will be provided with devices intended for use in developing submissions for ADC 2
The categories for this challenge include the following:

  • Education/Reference
  • Games: Casual/Puzzle
  • Games: Arcade/Action
  • Social Networking
  • Lifestyle
  • Productivity/Tools
  • Media
  • Entertainment
  • Travel
  • Misc
Terms and conditions for the challenge are forthcoming. It's still unclear who is eligible, what applications will be eligible, and so on. Find out more as details become available from the Google Android Developer Challenge site.

No comments: